ePetHealth & EquiHealth are here!
Clients can now access their horse's and pet's medical history, vaccination reminders, and medication history online using their own "ePetHealth account" or EquiHealth account" This feature will also allow you, the client, to request appointments, medication refills, and boarding with just a click of the mouse.
In addition, you can research breeds, common diseases, and access "how to" videos.
To access this great feature we will need your email address on file. Click on the ePetHealth link or EquiHealth link at the top left of this page to log in.
Do You Know What is Toxic to Your Pet?
According to ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center handled nearly 180,000 cases about pets exposed to possibly poisonous substances. Topping the list for the sixth year in a roll is human medications. Nearly 20% of the calls were from owners whose pets got into their medications.
The top ten pet toxins for 2013 are as follows:
Prescription Human Medications Insecticides Over-the-Counter Human medications Household products People food Veterinary Products and Medications Chocolate Rodenticides Plants Lawn and Garden Products
Top three human medications that animals ingested include: heart medications (blood pressure pills), antidepressants and pain medications.
Insecticides used in house and yards and on our animals, more than half of the calls involved cats exposed to insecticides.
Over-the-counter medications include acetaminophen,ibuprofen and naproxen as well as nutraceutical products (fish oil, joint supplements). Many of the products can be tasty to pets and most can be life threatening when ingested.
Household products range from fire logs to cleaning products. These products can be corrosive, and can obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract sometimes requiring surgery.
Human foods such as onions/garlic, grapes/raisins and xylitol can be life threatening to your pet.
Veterinary medication is sometimes flavored and makes it easier to give to your pet but it can also make it more likely for them to ingest the entire bottle given the chance.
Chocolate is the number one food pets ingest, too much chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate and seizures.
Rodenticides depending on which one, can cause internal bleeding and kidney failure or seizures.
Plants can be toxic to your pet, lilies can cause kidney failure and death to cats.
Lawn fertilizers can be made of dried blood and poultry manure and bone meal and all of these are attractive to your pet.
In question on whether something is poisons or toxic to your pet call your veterinary or the Animal Poison Control Center's 24 hour hotline at (888)426-4435.